Caring for a pet with a life limiting condition can be an incredibly emotional time. There is no right or wrong way in which to spend these final days with your pet.
Our Dignipets team guides and supports you with not just the medical care of your pet. We also give wellness advice and help you attaining a degree of preparation for whatever might come your way.
One of the things that can bring comfort during this time is to think of a ‘bucket list’ for your pet.
What are the things that they enjoy most? What can they still achieve at the moment? What makes them happiest? Who will they want to see?
There are so many things that you could do. As you know your pet better than anyone we are sure you can think of even better ideas then we have!
The suggestions below are merely a guideline. We just came up with a couple of things that could make lovely memories for you to think back on.
Here are some ideas:
- He always drooled watching me eat that sausage. Maybe it’s time that he was able to eat his own one.
- She loved to go to the park but finds the walking part too difficult. Maybe we could drive there with a picnic blanket and sit by the car together, watching the world go by.
- He loves seeing the dog down the road. Maybe I could invite the owners to have a cup of tea in the garden so he can spend time and say goodbye with his friend.
- She loves all my nieces and nephews. Perhaps we can have a small get together so she can be fussed by everyone once more, and our family can celebrate her life together with her.
- His world is getting smaller and smaller maybe we can introduce some new things to stimulate him
- Although eyesight and hearing might be quite poor in older dogs there is often nothing wrong with their nose! Different scents and following a trail can be very exciting.
Writing down ideas that your pet could still enjoy, even in their current health condition, can be a nice way to make final happy memories.
We can help talk about this, and your pet’s final moments, to help you make a plan that you are as comfortable with as possible.
We want to help you with doing what you already do; spoiling them and loving them in the last phase of their lives.
Every moment matters.
If you would like any further support the Dignipets team are available on 0333 3208731.